Greece is a Member-State of the European Union and has ratified the Schengen Agreement. Citizens traveling inside the E.U. just need to display their police I.D. Card without the need of a passport. However, a passport is necessary for a number of other transactions, such as currency exchange, purchases, etc. Visas are not required by citizens of Member-States of the Schengen Agreement. During their stay in Greece, visitors with a visa must also have suitable insurance coverage for emergency medical or other needs. You will need a visa/entry clearance if you are a national of a country requiring a visa to visit Greece. Please refer to the link below, for all necessary information. We will be happy to assist you in case you face any difficulties in obtaining information: http://www.mfa.gr/en/visas/visas-for-foreigners-traveling-to-greece/
To assist with the visa application process, the EPLO – as an International Organization – will provide a Visa Support Letter, once the admission procedure has been completed. The Visa Support Letter will contain the following information:
- Full name and date of birth of the person
- Passport number, date of issue and date of expiry
- The start and finish dates of the School
The Visa Support Letter will be sent to you by email once the payment and the whole admission procedure is completed. We can also arrange for the original letter to be sent to you by courier (at a charge of 25 €). Please check with the Greek Embassy in your country if you need to provide the original letter or if an emailed copy is sufficient. If you do require the courier service, please note it down in the specific area on the booking form. It is important to note that, depending on the country, visa applications can take up to 20-25 working days (or 3-4 weeks).
Regarding the non-members of the Schengen Area there is a mandatory visa requirement to enter the Schengen Zone for some countries. For more info kindly visit https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who-needs-schengen-visa/. Always consult your country’s Embassy in Greece for the updated Greece Visa requirements!
Athens Public Transport
The Athens public transportation network offers you a wide variety of routes, combining many different means, namely the metro, railway, buses, trolleybuses and trams. With a ticket you can move around using one or more means of transport within 1 hour and 30 minutes. You can buy tickets from all metro and train stations as well as from the kiosks on the streets. Alternatively, you can inquire about day or weekly passes that offer public transport at a discounted rate.
Getting to/from the Athens International Airport and the city center, located about 20 km (12 miles) east can be achieved via:
- Metro Line 3 (Aghia Marina – Douk. Plakentias – Athens International Airport)
- 24-hour express buses
- The Suburban railway (Proastiakos) connects the Athens airport with the Athens Central Railway Station (Larissis Station) and Acharnai Railway Center, and through them to the National Railway network.The Suburban railway departs every 15-25 minutes from the Athens Airport railway station to Plakentias station, where you can change trains and continue to the city center (Metro Line 3 to Egaleo), using the same ticket. To find your itinerary or book your tickets, please check here.
- Taxis are available at the designated Taxi waiting area located at Exit 3 of Arrivals Level. A taxi from the airport to the city center (inner ring) costs a flat rate of €35 from 5:00 a.m. to midnight, and €50 from midnight to 5:00 a.m. Greek taxis are inexpensive by European standards and offer an alternative to mass transit. All licensed taxis are equipped with meters (the fare is charged per km and per hour) and display a card detailing the latest valid tariffs and surcharges. In certain tourist areas you may be asked to pay a predetermined (standard) amount for a ride to a specific destination; thus, before boarding a taxi make sure to seek information on the exact fare for the journey. Find more info on fares here. For more info please visit here.
According to European Regulations, all travelers entering or leaving the European Union with more than €10.000, in cash, must declare the amount to Customs. Customs controls at Greek points of entry distinguish between goods bought within the EU and outside the EU. When traveling to Athens in Greece from outside the EU you are allowed to bring in the following, provided you travel with the items and do not intend to sell them Read more
Health & Safety
In order to have access to necessary health care, tourists from member states of the European Union (EU) wishing to visit Greece must be holders of the European Health Card (EHIC) or any other legal Community document issued by their competent social security agency. You can find more information about the EHIC here. In these cases, the necessary treatment in Greece is provided by:
- Social Security Institute Health Units (polyclinics) or doctor’s offices in the region;
- Regional clinics (former rural clinics) or the Health Centers of the National Health System; and
- the outpatients’ departments of the hospitals on contract
In order to have access to necessary health care, tourists from countries other than the member states of the European Union wishing to visit Greece must consult their social security agency for information before travelling. In case of emergency call:
- Ambulance Service: 166
- SOS Doctors : 1016
- Duty Hospitals and Clinics: 1434
- Pharmacies: 1434
- Open Line for alcohol drug Addiction: 210 36 17 089
- Poisoning First Aid: 210 77 93 777
- Police: 100
- Tourist Police: 1571
Time Greece: GMT +2
NOTE: For accurate info on Greece please visit the Greek National Tourist Organization official website http://www.visitgreece.gr/
DISCLAIMER: This information in this page is derived from the official site of the Greek National Tourist Organization http://www.visitgreece.gr/ and the official website of the Municipality of Athens for tourist information http://www.thisisathens.org/. The EPLO is just reproducing the information that appears in those sites. For more official and updated info please visit them accordingly.