The ELGS Master of Studies is a 1-year degree program conducted mostly in a remote format which enables students to conduct independent research in the fields of Legal Research, Governance Studies, or on an interdisciplinary topic without having to leave their country. Successful applicants will be assigned a supervisor, based upon their academic interests, from the renown International Faculty Network of the ELGS. Full time residency is not a requirement for this degree, but students will be required to attend several training sessions throughout the program which will be held at the EPLO premises in Greece. The training session is conducted in January and will introduce students to advanced research methods, while consecutive sessions focus on tutoring and teaching skills. The topic will depend upon the student’s academic interests provided that the supervisor agrees and that the thematic touches upon a legal or governance notion.
It is supported by the expansive ELGS International Faculty network of over 100 legal and governance scholars and practitioners worldwide, the ELGS’ Partner Universities across Europe and the world, and the EPLO. Importantly, students of the program will be granted access to attend EPLO events on key themes in EU law and governance and to interact with renown EU leaders and decision-makers. Students graduate with a clear understanding and awareness of the most up-to-date scholarly research, as well as a solid network to support them in their career after the ELGS.
Students are also expected attend classes, seminars, and lectures, as designated by their supervisors. Upon completion of the program students will deliver a 30,000 word thesis and must successfully defend their thesis in front of an international jury to attain their MSt.
While this program encourages mobility and flexibility, students are expected to be devoted full time to their MSt studies. Students that are employed must be able to balance work and study and be able to deliver their thesis within the established time period.
Completion of the MSt grants the successful graduate the opportunity to apply for Probationary Research Student (PRS) status, which enables students to transfer to PhD status.
The following specializations are offered:
- Master of Studies in Legal Research
- Master of Studies in Governance Research
- Master of Studies in Legal and Governance Research
The ELGS MSt program is a modern program of the highest academic standard, which has been designed with flexibility and mobility in mind .The International Faculty Network is comprised of professors and practitioners from throughout the world, which enables students to conduct research on a wide range of topics, in many countries and in roughly 10 languages.*
The structure and content of the program can be found below:
- Attend a 1-week orientation program in the end of January at the Athens’ premises (25 hours of classes in research methods, statistical methods, presentation preparation, public speaking)
- Assigned a Supervisor and Devise Work Program
- Attend classes and conferences as determined by supervisor and meet with supervisor
- Delivery of Thesis
- Thesis Defense
Admissions Requirements and Procedures
Students from all over the world are admitted following a rigorous application process. Prospective students for the MSt should have a first or second class undergraduate degree in law, political sciences, or in a relevant field of the social sciences. High caliber students with a background in a different field of studies or a particularly competitive profile with evidence of relevant professional experience and long-term dedication to the field will also be considered. Due to the international nature of the program, degree equivalencies will be determined by the Faculty Board. Please note that students that are interested in pursuing a PhD but that do not have a postgraduate degree should apply for the MSt or MPhil program.
All courses of the program will be taught in the English language. As a result, students originating from non-English speaking countries must evidence their level of English language skills in accordance with the following:
- TOEFL Internet based, Score of 90 or above
- IELTS, 5.5
- Duolingo, 95
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency, Grade B or above
- Any other internationally recognized test with equivalent marks
- Students intending to conduct their research in a language other than English must demonstrate their level of the relevant language skills.
To apply for a program, students must first review the application form and its requirements to ensure the collection of appropriate material. By the time they have gathered all documentation they should proceed with payment of the onetime application fee either at the relevant online portal or at via a bank transfer. Students should always add their surname, initial letter of their first name and Degree title in the deposit description. They can then proceed with their application which can only be conducted online and submit it along with the supporting documentation, listed below. All support documents must be in electronic format and uploaded to be sent with the application, except for the 2 reference letters, which should be emailed directly from Referees to MSt admissions at MSt@elgs.eu. Students may be invited to be interviewed. Link to the application process here.
At a glance, the application must include:
- Completed online Application Form in English
- Photograph and ID (scanned and uploaded)
- Most Recent Academic Record (scanned and uploaded)
- Proof of English language skills if non-native English speaker (TOEFL 90, Cambridge Proficiency grade B)
- Proof of proficiency of language that thesis will be written in, if non-native speaker
- Personal Statement & Scholarship request if applicable (400-600 words)
- Two Reference Letters (if employed, one must be from current employer)
- Research Proposal 1,000 words
- Two Academic Writing Samples on relevant topic (Master’s thesis accepted)
- Application Fee of 50€ (non-refundable)
Applications for Session 2024/2025 are open for submission. The Research Skills taught program will take place on January 2025. Exact dates to be announced.
Tuition and Aid
Tuition and Fees for MSt students starting during this Academic year is as follows:
- Application fee of 50€
- Tuition fee per year for full time students 15,180€ per year
- Accommodation fees as per availability and request
All students must be able to provide evidence of sufficient funding to cover the cost of their tuition fees throughout the duration of the program. If you have obtained funding from an outside source, please indicate this in your application. Please note that there are a limited number of scholarships available each year, which are select based upon merit. In the event that you are interested in being considered for a scholarship, please submit a scholarship request in the amount of 400-600 words. For more information on Scholarships please visit the relevant page under the Admissions tab.